Thursday, March 6, 2008

Home, Sweet Homeschool

Hi,

Today the topic is homeschooling. I knew that I wanted to homeschool my future children even before I was married due to both my experiences at public school and also based on several homeschooled children I had met.

It has worked out quite well for us. We live in a state that does require some, but not too much documentation. Up until just this year we always gave the standard Iowa test at the end of each year. S. scored so well on it that we found it not to be very helpful in identifying her strengths and weaknesses. Also, now that we are doing 4th grade, our curriculum order has shifted sufficiently enough from that of public school that we decided not to give the test. For example, we are studying the Middle Ages and Renaissance. S's ps counterparts are studying American history. It wouldn't be fair to not test her on the material she has covered and then test her on things she has not yet seen. Our science is also diverging to a different schedule. So for this year, we will take the option to have a certified teacher do a review of a portfolio of S's work and sign off on it.

Our curriculum is fairly varied. We fall generally into the category of eclectic homeschoolers. We pick and choose things that fit into our plan instead of going with someone else's preset plan. We are loosely following the type of education outlined in the Well Trained Mind book by Susan Wise Bauer.

I have to admit, there are days when I wish we were not homeschooling. The idea of having a whole day to myself is mindboggling. But then I spend some time with the mothers of S's ps friends and hear their lamenting and complaining about the school system, and I know I have made the best choice for us.

Sue is thriving. She has plenty of socialization opportunities. This afternoon, for example, we are off to her Irish dance class. She also has friends at 4-H and church. But her main social unit is her family. Not other children who demonstrate questionable social graces and worse manners.

I have lots more to say about this, but it is time to head out. We have to take the long way to town (about 50 miles) as localized flooding has closed a number of smaller, lower-lying roads.

From the head teacher, principal, janitor, school nurse, and lunch lady of Cave Creek Elementary School,
Lori

No comments: